New Years Resolutions

One of the most common New Years Resolutions is losing weight. Losing weight shouldn't be your goal though, getting healthy should be.

We should all make a goal to be healthy, because once it becomes a habit the weight starts coming off.

One way to becoming healthy, shedding the pounds, being happier is to plan out meals. Now you're probably thinking how do I do that? How Kayla?

I recently started planning out my meals the day before, it's a baby step, but soon I will be an expert at it and I'll be able to do it faster and easier.

The night before I think about all the things I am going to do, what classes do I have, what's my work schedule, how long am I going to be out of the house. I plan a meal for the three big ones (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and I plan a snack between each.

I don't count calories, although I do pay attention, I don't count them, because sometimes you end up cheating yourself, or feeling disappointed because you went over. Just keep them in mind.

Breakfast

For breakfast I like to pack a grain (like rice, quinoa, oatmeal, etc.) I make mine with peanut butter and jelly (cuts down on the sugar).

Snack # 1

My snack after breakfast is a fruit, because they are good pick me ups and full of natural sugars.

Lunch

Lunch I pack whatever I made for dinner the night before, or any left overs, plus a fruit or vegetable, whatever is in my fridge.

Snack #2

My snack after lunch is also a fruit (because I need energy for my long, long days when I am not at home)

Dinner

When I do pack dinner, I pack leftovers, because they are already made and I don't have to spend money on high calorie fast food.

On the days I don't pack a dinner, I like pasta a lot, so I try to make healthier pastas. Last night, I made whole grain pasta with chicken breasts, onions, turnip greens, tomatoes, an orange bell pepper, mushrooms, and garlic. I did add spices like ginger, thyme, rosemary, oregano, and basil to pop a lot of the hidden tastes.

Cooking is a hobby for me, and you can't cook everyday, but you can make a schedule for you and your household. In my house everyone has a day to cook, so we're never left wanting fast food.

With careful planning you can gain your health and your pep, with the side effect of losing weight. Small lifestyle changes will keep weight down and keep you healthy.

Just remember baby steps get results, don't worry about falling off the wagon, because the only way to succeed is getting back on.

Here are some links to places that help with meal planning:
Zip List : Go here for easy planning with shopping lists, recipes to try, as well as deals on groceries for easy planning (you do have to sign up but it is free)
Food on the Table: You can make shopping lists, find local grocery stores, plan your meals, find new recipes. (you sign up but it is free)

Planning out your meal doesn't have to be a chore, you can try new things or revamp old, just give it a whirl and watch how healthy you become.

As always feel free to comment or email with suggestions
kaylareid101@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts