Moving in and up

I have just moved into my apartment in Richmond, Virginia. And it is work. I never thought that renting an apartment could be so much work. Especially if your room is the size of a small office. 

That's beside the point. Moving into an apartment means one really big thing, Responsibility. You are responsible for your Punch List (more on that later), going through your apartment and making sure you find every already damaged spot, and most of all you're responsible for cleaning even before you get cozy.

My apartment building was recently renovated (by recently, I mean it was just finished being renovated). There is dust everywhere. The whole apartment smells like paint and chemicals, making it a little hard to feel good about breathing. Other than that, my apartment is adorable. I do share with my brother, but what's family for. (I say making the best roommate that's what). Because let's face it, life can be miserable with an undesirable roommate. 

One thing that is a definite plus is the wood floors, not only are they all throughout the house, they are definitely easier to clean than carpet, plus no carpet stains or nasty carpet smell. Another thing is my baby room has a window, so the size really goes away since my window makes a whole difference in how I feel about the room.

Punch Lists

Listen, I know that when you move in, you just want to relax, let your hair down and unpack. But the first thing you should be doing is your punch list. What Punch Lists do is make your life 1,000 times better. If there is anything wrong with your apartment, write it on the punch list, that way down the road, you get your deposit back. If you don't write that your sink is dented, you will be charged for denting your sink. Landlords believe that they give you a perfect apartment, if you don't fill out the punch list or even don't turn it in, you will be in a world of hurt. Don't forget to fill out your punch list. And most of all don't forget to turn it in on time. 

That's all for now,
Check back for style tips in the city, and how to transition from Summer to Fall 

Kayla Reid

Comments

Popular Posts